Coping.

When you were barely awake 
I could fill in the gaps, where your 
Uncomfortable, self-righteousness would rest
On things like the ”virus”. Or, the fact
You left without saying goodbye. 
I could imagine you changed.
But how could you change?
Even though you’re softer these days.
The paranoid but oh, 
So well researched views you tell me 
Everyone can find if they look 
For them get in the way of connection, 
Just when I start to hope. 
You’re right. 
You can find evidence for anything 
If you just look hard enough
Just want it enough. 
Your safety net against everything. 
Born from all the shit you’ve had
Dealt in your hand. Or the cards
You’ve taken in order to cut 
Yourself off. 
Choices you made. I try, not to
Make excuses. Because your choices, 
Gave me gifts I didn’t ask for. Yet, 
I love you unconditionally, 
Because I know you’re not a bad person.
Even if you’ve been a god-awful father. 
It’s not so crazy that I feared 
You being able to speak.
I resist the urge to grab for bricks
To build a wall I no longer need.
Fashioning something more malleable
So that I can feel things and I 
Can listen while you are going through this
Fucking shitty experience. So I can, 
Better ascertain the time to be silent 
And the time to leave. As I feel when,
My heart starts to drop. 
Now is not the time 
To fight you on your entire life’s work 
Of coping mechanisms. 
That may never be. 



 

Comments

Popular Posts